Every owner wants to do the best for their pet whether that be a dog, cat, rabbit, or hamster.
You want to be sure that you are providing them with a healthy upbringing and meeting their needs.
Before owning any animal, it is always important to conduct research as it is not as simple as many believe.
In terms of dogs, each breed is different, has specific medical needs and dietary requirements.
As well as this, there are some foods that are better for them than others.
But what types of dog foods are there? And which is best suited to your dog?
In a hurry? Here’s a quick look at our recommendations:
- Taste Of The Wild
- Canidae Pure Grain Free Dog Food
- Instinct Original Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- Wellness Core Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- Crave Grain Free Premium Adult Dog Food
What Is Grain-Free Dog Food?
When purchasing dog food, there are several options – you have “regular” dog food, and you have grain-free dog food.
But what is the difference?
Regular Dog Food
Regular dog food is essentially dog food which contains grains and is the go-to product for most dog owners.
You will find these dog food choices containing ingredients such as soy, rye, rice, wheat, oat, barley and corn.
One of the reasons for grains being contained in most dog food is because it carries properties which are good for your dog.
For example, these grains give your dog the added energy they need from the carbohydrates, and the fiber helps with a dog’s digestion.
This leads us to grain free dog food.
What is it?
And if regular dog food has so many positive effects, then why choose to go grain free?
Grain Free Dog Food
Grain free dog food is the complete opposite of regular dog food, made using no grains such as wheat and oats.
There are a variety of benefits that come with grain free dog food and is an option that many owners choose for their pet.
It is often, however, that people can get confused between grain free and gluten free.
Whilst gluten is a protein found in grains such as barley and rye, that is not to say that all grains include gluten.
From this, buying gluten free dog food does not mean that your dog will not be consuming grain.
That is why owners choose to play it safe by purchasing specified grain free dog product.
Why Do People Choose Grain Free Dog Food? (The Benefits)
Despite regular dog food holding many good properties, there is a reason why grain free dog food has become a popular choice.
The food has a number of benefits which will help your dog in the long run.
A Dog’s Breath
Dogs can be prone to developing bad breath and no matter what remedies you try it always seems to stay the same.
But what many people don’t know is that a dog’s diet has plenty to do with this.
The grain which is in food ends up leaving a film on your dog’s teeth which in turn collects bacteria.
Once that bacteria has settled, this leaves an unpleasant smell which creates bad breath. Grain free dog food is a way to avoid this, keeping their teeth healthier and breath clearer.
A Healthy Coat
There may be times where you notice how the quality of your dog’s coat isn’t how it used to be.
This is a completely normal thing for many dog owners and usually has an easy to fix answer.
As many things, diet is the reason.
With your dog eating a regular dog food diet, their coat can turn dull and rough.
By removing their grain intake, you will notice your dog’s coat looking shinier and healthier – this is great for their health.
A Smooth Pregnancy
When a dog is pregnant, it is important to make sure their stay healthy in order to protect her unborn puppies.
This is not only ensuring that the mother is comfortable and in a suitable environment, but is down to her diet too.
It is important to stop your pregnant dog from experiencing any added stress or pressure and ensuring that they have enough energy for themselves and their litter.
Feeding your dog grain free dog food will give them this needed energy and will allow them to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
What To Do Before Deciding To Switch Food
Before switching food products, it is important to consult your veterinarian.
They are the ones who know what is best for your dog.
However, there has been little evidence to show that a grain free diet will have a negative effect on your dog.
It is important to do you thorough research, understand how this food will impact your dog, the health benefits and negatives of use.
You will also want to know of the recommended grain free dog foods to give your pet the best possible options.
That is why we have come up with a list of the best grain free dog foods to help you decide which one is best for you.
This list will be an insight to the different types of food, providing you with a truthful review as well as a helpful pros and cons list to point you in the right direction.
Our picks: Best Grain-Free Dog Food
Here’s a quick look at our recommendations for the best grain-free dog food for the money.
This dry dog food is made with real meat and is high in protein, great for ensuring the strength of your dog’s bones, joints and muscles.
Its rich nutrients are enough to give your pet enough energy for their day, and contains omega fatty acids for healthy skin and a healthy coat.
This recipe is specifically made for the health of adult dogs and is formulated without any grains or artificial colors.
- Saves on vet bills – it is known that grain free dog food is great for helping a dog’s health and allergies. Using this will help your dog’s health in the long run and you don’t have to worry about constant checkups at the vets.
- Less hyper – if you have a dog bouncing off the walls, after consuming this product you will notice a change in their demeanor. They will become calmer after intaking that healthier dose of nutrition.
- Taste – the taste of the food is good, even good enough for a fussy dog you may have.
- Potential allergic reaction – be wary of allergies. Some dogs react better to the product than others. Make sure you understand what your dog is sensitive to and check the ingredients before going forward.
- om trusted domestic and global sources
Treat your dog to this real salmon and sweet potato recipe, made with zero grains and providing a balanced goodness for all adult dogs.
Its formula of vitamins and minerals allow for healthy joints, skin and coat, and is a highly recommendable product for your pet.
- Improvement in your dog’s stool – this dog food will benefit your dog’s stool, making it healthier in consistency, displaying the effects the product has on your dog’s system.
- Good for allergies – if you dog is experiencing any clear signs of allergies, it could be the diet. If so, switching to the Canidae grain free dog food has been known to relieve dogs of their allergies.
- Can minimize feeding time – because this is high in protein, this means the amount of times you need to feed your dog can be shortened, allowing them to stay at a healthy weight.
- Consistency – the product changes in consistency, sometimes varying in color and texture depending on which pack you receive. This can be bad if your dog has a preference.
- Contains 1- 22 Lb. Bag of Canidae PURE Salmon and Sweet Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Real food ingredients for the taste your dog will love. Crafted with real salmon as the first ingredient, paired with whole ingredients like manhaden fish meal, peas and sweet potatoes
- Complete and balanced goodness for adult dogs. This recipe is made using 10 or fewer key ingredients that are easily recognizable, perfect for sensitive dogs
- Formulated with antioxidants and probiotics to support a healthy digestive and immune system, along with a nutritious blend of vitamins and minerals to support healthy joints, skin and coat
- Canidae is creating a world of goodness for pets and the planet. Premium proteins and regeneratively farmed ingredients nourish pets and planet in every bowl, setting a new standard for pet food. Everything we do results in a bowl full of goodness
Your dog will love this grain free dog food with wild salmon.
This is a wholesome meal, providing many health benefits to your dog, and is made with 72% real animal ingredients and nutritious oils and 28% vegetables.
This holds a delicious flavor which all dogs crave, made from natural and real ingredients.
If your dog isn’t a fan of salmon, there are also other flavor options including chicken, beef, rabbit, and duck.
- High meat content – with its high meat content, this provides plenty of protein, perfect for your dog’s health.
- Good taste – the taste is very appealing to dogs, a loved flavor by many pets.
- Odor – the smell can be unappealing to pet owners.
- GRAIN FREE DOG FOOD WITH WILD CAUGHT SALMON: Instinct Original dry dog food is made with 72% real animal ingredients and nutritious oils, 28% vegetables, fruits and other wholesome ingredients. Responsibly sourced wild caught salmon is the #1 ingredient.
- NATURAL DOG FOOD: Instinct Original dry dog food is high protein dog food made with probiotics to support healthy digestion and omegas for skin & coat. Made without grain, potato, corn, wheat, soy, by-product meals, artificial colors or preservatives.
- THE FIRST RAW COATED KIBBLE: Instinct Original dry dog food is high protein dog food where every piece of kibble is coated in freeze dried raw for nutrition and taste. Delicious, healthy flavor that small dogs to large dogs crave.
- POWER OF RAW INGREDIENTS: Our dog food is made with the pure, real nutrition of raw. Raw is natural, made from real meat & whole food ingredients, protein packed & minimally processed. Made in the USA with the finest ingredients from around the world.
- INSTINCT, THE RAW BRAND: We craft dry & wet dog food from real ingredients. Compare Instinct to Blue Buffalo, Rachel Ray, Hills Science Diet, Purina One, Taste of the Wild, Merrick, Natural Balance, Wellness, Orijen, Royal Canin, Fromm, Acana & Nutro.
This is a high protein grain free dry dog food providing them with the fuel they need for the day ahead.
The dog food is made with a high concentration of protein, great for developing your dog’s muscle tone and body mass and is good for protecting your dog’s skin and coat.
This is something your pet can enjoy, knowing that they are consuming natural sourced ingredients without any added grains.
- Coat appearance – the appearance of your dog’s coat will be a lot clearer and healthier.
- Helps with dog’s itching – if you dog has irritated or itchy skin, the ingredients in this will help your dog and stop the irritation.
- Boost in energy – this product will give your dog a newfound boost in energy.
- Gas – this can make your pet gassier than normal depending on their stomach.
- GRAIN-FREE ADULT DRY DOG FOOD: Premium protein from responsibly sourced turkey is expertly balanced with nutrient rich superfoods for a complete and balanced dog food, with guaranteed levels of all the nutrients your dog needs to thrive
- LEANER BODY MASS AND MUSCLE TONE: Based on the nutritional philosophy that dogs thrive on a natural diet mainly comprised of meat, this dog food is made with 44% high quality protein ingredients
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY COAT & DIGESTIVE HEALTH: Guaranteed levels of omega fatty acids from ingredients such as flaxseed and salmon oil support healthy skin and coat, glucosamine for strong joints, probiotics for digestive health and taurine for a healthy heart
- NO CORN, WHEAT, OR SOY: Contains only premium, all natural ingredients with no poultry by-products, wheat, wheat gluten, corn, soy, artificial colors, or preservatives
- MADE IN USA: Using only the finest globally sourced ingredients, we prepare each of our diets in our own state of the art facility; recipes crafted with wholesome, non-GMO ingredients chosen for their nutritional benefits
For premium dog food, Crave is the way to turn.
This will provide your dog with a great source of energy from its nutrients and meaty flavor.
What makes Crave unique and a favorite is how it is inspired by their wolf ancestors. Choose from either beef or chicken.
- Vet approved – this is a product which is approved by vets.
- No problem for picky dogs – if your dog is a picky eater, your dog will have no problem with this food product.
- Smell – the smell is not favorable amongst owners.
- Contains one (1) 22 lb. bag of CRAVE Grain Free Adult Dry Dog Food with Protein from Beef—for any size dog
- CRAVE recipes are always crafted with real, high-quality animal protein, no grain, and the full meaty flavor that dogs go wild for
- Made with 34% high protein, to support a strong, lean body
- Grain free with carbohydrate sources like peas for energy
- Crafted with quality ingredients: NO chicken by-product meal, NO corn, wheat, or soy protein, and NO artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
- Protein-rich recipe complete with the quality nutrients your dog needs
- Feed your breed: Ideal as both large and small breed dog food, CRAVE’s healthy dog food formula is perfect for your dog’s dietary needs, no matter their size
What To Consider Before Buying Grain-Free Dog Food
Before choosing your product, you want to be assured that it is the right one for you.
With so much dog food to choose from there is plenty to consider in order to make your dog healthy and happy.
It is essential to understand your dog’s body and know what they are sensitive to.
Your dog can have allergies that are affected by certain foods, so if you do know their allergies, check for this on the back of the packaging before moving forward.
Aside from health benefits, you want your dog to enjoy what they are eating.
By looking at reviews first, you will be able to see which brands and products are most enjoyed by other dogs.
It is always good to check in with your vet first before going forward.
Ask them what they recommend for your dog. It may be that you purchase something which will only make their health worse.
You want to be sure that you are delivering your dog a suitable food option.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Some Dogs Need Grains In Their Diet?
There are some cases where your dog will benefit from grains, particularly puppies.
Grains include ingredients such as potassium and omega-3 fatty acids, ideal for a pup’s diet.
Are there any disadvantages to grain free dog food?
There has been known to be some disadvantages of grain free dog food; they are more expensive, not suitable for older and less active dogs, it can be difficult for you dog to adapt to a new diet.
How Do Grains Affect My Dog’s Health?
Grains are the number one allergy among canines.
Because of this, many owners choose to give their dogs grain free products in order to have a healthier diet and to protect their dog’s health.
It is clear that giving your dog grain free dog food is all down to preference.
Just like any food, there are positives and negatives that come with it, however it is true that grain free can have a good change on a dog’s health and wellbeing.
Whatever you do decide to provide to your dog, just make sure that you are putting their best interest first.
What is most important is that your dog is maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
It is up to the owner to provide this and give their dog a good life.