Your dog is your life, you want them to be as comfortable in your home as you are, and the majority of any time spent at home, no matter if you’re human or dog, is spent sleeping.
Therefore it is crucial that your dog has a good place to relax and lay its head at the end of the day.
Finding a dog bed that is perfect for a large breed can be tricky, as big dogs obviously take up more room than little dogs.
This means that they need more support as well as space.
It is increasingly important to find the right dog bed for senior dogs as well, as joint issues and arthritis can be irritating if sleeping on a bed that isn’t well supported.
Before buying a suitable dog bed you should take a look at how your dog sleeps and make sure that the bed you buy is one that your dog can sleep in its favorite position in.
For example, if your dog likes to sleep sprawled out then it may be best to get an extra-large bed, whereas if your dog sleeps curled up the size wouldn’t be too much of a problem.
It is also important to know roughly what size your dog is, this can be easily done with a tape measure.
This article will outline a variety of best dog beds for large dogs and if they may be suitable for your specific dog.
It will also include a handy buyer’s guide to help you find a dog bed that is unique to your dog.
Let’s get into the best dog beds for large dogs.
The HappyCare classic dog bed is perfect for dogs who love to have a bit of structure to their sleep.
If you notice that your dog feels comfortable when resting its head over a lip or a cushion, then you want to purchase a dog bed that has well-padded, cushioned sides.
This dog bed has that, with increased side support. This dog bed also has an ultra-dense padded bottom for extra support for heavier and larger dogs.
If your dog moves a lot in its sleep, then that is not going to affect this bed, as this dog bed has an anti-slip bottom meaning the bed will stay in place no matter how much your dog moves.
The HappyCare classic dog bed is 34” x 24” so should be suitable for most large dogs, however, if your dog likes to stretch when it sleeps then it may be worth looking for something a bit bigger.
This bed is perfect for a dog that likes to curl up when sleeping or any dog that likes to feel secure.
- Ultra-dense bottom padding – The HappyCare classic dog bed has a lot of support on the bottom of the bed to increase comfort for even the largest of dogs.
- Machine washable – This dog bed is easy to clean as the entire thing is machine washable.
- Anti-slip bottom – No matter how much your dog likes to move in its sleep, the bed won’t reposition itself too much thanks to its anti-slip bottom.
- Increased side support – This is perfect for dogs that like to rest their head when they are sleeping, having supported sides also makes some dogs feel more secure when they are sleeping.
- Thin top layer – Some users have reported that the layer on top of the padded bottom is quite thin and dogs who tend to scratch have torn it easily.
- Ultra plush dog bed with soft interior for large dogs now with upgraded ultra dense bottom padding and increased side support
- Machine washable
- Anti-Slip bottom
- Country Of Origin: China
The Coolaroo elevated dog bed may look like the least comfortable on the list but we assure you it is anything but.
If you’ve noticed that your dog sleeps stretched out, it is probably because they get very warm while sleeping, this is very common with thick-coated dogs in hotter parts of the country.
This bed has an elevated design so air can flow underneath the bed, cooling the underside of your dog.
The design of this bed means that it is easily deconstructed and reconstructed making it simple to take away if you travel with your dog.
The high-density polyethylene that makes up the bed is also very durable, so if your dog likes to chew the bed, that won’t be a problem.
Because the bed is elevated it makes it very easy for older and arthritic dogs to get in and out of. This makes it a perfect choice if your dog struggles with getting in and out of bed.
- Off-the-ground design – The Coolaroo is designed to have space underneath, this allows a good amount of airflow to cool your dogs when they are sleeping.
- Portable – This bed is easily deconstructed which makes it portable.
- Great for arthritic dogs – Because it is elevated, arthritic and older dogs find it easier to get in and out of.
- Durable – Its high-density polyethylene material makes it a very durable bed for dogs that are a little more destructive than others.
- May need to use extra padding – Some users have found that the material is uncomfortable, it does depend on the dog, however, this is solved easily by putting an extra dog pillow or blanket on top of the dog bed.
- COOLING DOG BED – Coolaroo’s signature breathable fabric promotes air circulation on all sides of the bed, keeping your dog cool and comfortable all year long
- RELIEVES JOINT PRESSURE POINTS - Raised dog bed design helps to eliminate hot spots and fabric flexibility creates low-impact areas to relieve joint pressure points
- EASY TO CLEAN - washable pet bed with removable cover makes it easy to clean, simply hose off with water or wash with a damp towel - use mild cleanser for deep cleaning
- ECO-FRIENDLY - Fabric is 100% Recyclable GREENGUARD certified fabric: free of harmful lead and phthalate chemicals
- PORTABLE & LIGHTWEIGHT - Travel dog mat is ideal for the home and abroad. Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use
If your dog is elderly or struggles with pain in its joints, it may not be able to get the good night’s sleep that it used to get.
It is therefore important that you purchase a bed that will make your dog as comfortable as possible.
The JOYELF has a memory foam base that contours to your dog’s sleeping position and ensures a comfortable night’s sleep.
The base is also removable and machine washable for ease of use when cleaning.
The bed has supported, cushioned sides so your dog will feel secure, and is also perfect for dogs that like to rest their head when they sleep.
If your dog has trouble sleeping due to joint pain or age then this bed is a great option, but it’s also a great option for dogs that just like a little luxury.
- Memory foam base – The JOYELF comes with a memory foam mattress that contours itself to your dog’s sleeping position, allowing maximum comfort.
- Easy to maintain – The memory foam base can be easily removed and is machine washable making the bed simple to wash and maintain.
- Supported, cushioned walls – If your dog loves to sleep with its head supported this feature is perfect. Having walls around your dog’s bed can also make it feel more secure.
- Entrance doesn’t really dip – The supporting walls are a little high around the entrance, some users have reported that their highly arthritic dogs can struggle to get in and out of bed because of this.
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIALS: ①Solid Memory Foam base for perfectly to your pet's body for maximum comfort;②Memory Foam using flame retardant material;③The Bottom Material of the dog bed comes with built-in nonslip rubber backing④Inner cover perfect for senior dog with occasional accident;⑤The fabric offers unmatched warmth and comfort;⑥The bolster is big and fluffy which is relax breathable and good resilience.
- BETTER DESIGN:①The base high-density memory foam can provide the ultimate sleep experience with superior overall comfort and to last;②The bottom is lined with to avoid the bed from ever sliding around;③Soft & Full comfy PPcotton-padded Bolsters (couch arms) surround a whole circle can protect your pet's neck.④The hidden zipper of this orthopedic dog bed makes the product look better;⑤Internal liner to protect memory foam from liquids.
- EASY To MAINTAIN:①Removable cover is machine washable,simply remove the cover, zip closed ②Easy to find & Remove hair;③Do not immerse in water for long time& tumble dry ,Line dry better
- GIFTS:Squeaker toys as gifts(Bone shape)
- SIZE: Measuring from outside of bolster 36'' x 27'' x 8''. Sleeping area inside bolster: 29'' x 20''. The memory foam base 33.5'' x 23.5''x 3''. Ideal for Medium to Large size dogs and also great for multiple smaller dogs.
The Snoozer cozy cave is a fantastic dog bed for dogs that love to snuggle under the covers, it features a large pocket that’s lined with a warm sherpa lining to keep your dogs nice and warm throughout their sleep.
The pocket is kept open by an internal wire so they can constantly look out into the world without having to leave the comfortable cave.
This is perfect if you live in a cold part of the country and your dog prefers some warmth but I would not recommend this bed if your dog sleeps stretched out or you live in a hotter part of the country.
The cave comes with a removable cover that is suitable for machine washing helping you wash with ease.
Some dogs also prefer being surrounded as the security of the cave helps them sleep at night.
- Sherpa lining – The Snoozer is great if your dog loves to be under blankets as the soft sherpa lining is sure to keep them comfortable.
- Removable, washable cover – The cover for the cave is removable and machine washable making it very easy to maintain.
- Extra security and warmth – If your dog loves sleeping with extra security or gets cold very easily then this is the perfect bed for them.
- Some breeds may be too large – Because of the Snoozers enclosed nature, breeds such as the Great Dane or St. Bernard are not advised to use it as it could become quite claustrophobic.
- LIKE A HUG FOR YOUR DOG! Is your dog a cuddler? A burrower? The Cozy Cave dog bed is just what you’re looking for! The hooded dog bed design lets your dog snooze between layers of soft Sherpa lining for enveloped comfort and coziness. Made to appeal to a dog’s natural instincts for burrowing, the Cozy Cave is the best dog bed for dogs who love sleeping under blankets. The Cozy Cave gives them a place to relax with a feeling of safety and security for less anxiety and more restful sleep.
- QUALITY FEATURES. Our Cozy Caves feature a cedar-poly fill that is exceptionally soft and comfortable, perfect for dogs who like the feeling of being wrapped up and snuggling in something soft. The aromatic cedar wood in our cedar-poly fill fights odors naturally by absorbing them to keep your dog’s bed (and your home) fresher for longer. Our dog beds are made to order in the USA and are artfully handsewn by our master craftsmen, so you and your dog get the premium Snoozer product you deserve.
- WE DON’T CUT CORNERS. Our dog beds are built to last! When you invest in a Snoozer, you’re buying a top-of-the-line pet product your dog will love for years to come. Our removable dog bed covers are machine washable, so your home can stay fresh and your dog has a clean healthy place to snooze. With tons of replacement dog bed covers available, you can try out different fabrics. Customer (dog and owner!) satisfaction is our top priority and we have many loyal customers who stay with us for years.
- DURABLE FABRIC. With a poly-cotton cover, this bed is soft to the touch while strong enough to handle daily wear-and-tear. Our poly-cotton exterior is fade-resistant, shrink-resistant, wrinkle-resistant, and machine washable which means it holds up to heavy use and regular cleaning and still looks great. To clean, just remove the plastic rod from the hood and unzip the easy-off cover to wash and hang dry. This high-quality dog bed will hold up for years!
- SIZING: This Large Cozy Cave has a 35” diameter, a 4” sidewall, and an approximate 8” hood opening. A thin removable plastic tube keeps the hood open for easy entry or exit and can be removed through the small hole at the corner of the hood. This size Large provides space for mid-sized breeds while creating a snug, enveloping feel. Please scroll down and check our size chart below for our best recommendations based on breed to ensure you buy the right size for your pup.
The Furhaven traditional dog mattress is perfect for any dog that loves its space, at 53 inches long it’s perfect for any breed of large dogs including Great Danes and St. Bernards.
This mattress has gel-infused memory foam to contour to however your dog sleeps, this ensures that your dog is as comfortable as possible throughout the night.
It is also perfect for older dogs and dogs with orthopedic issues as the memory foam can nurse their joints as they sleep.
This mattress also has a removable cover that is machine washable making it very easy to maintain.
- Very large – Even the largest breeds of dogs will be comfortable on this mattress, some users have even reviewed that two of their large dogs sleep on it with no fuss.
- Gel-infused memory foam – The memory foam will ensure that even elderly dogs or dogs with arthritis get the best night’s sleep possible.
- Removable cover – The mattress cover is removable and machine washable allowing the bed to be very easy to maintain.
- Thin fabric – This product is not recommended for dogs that tend to bite and scratch their surroundings as the fabric on the top of the mattress is quite delicate.
- DESIGNED FOR PETS: The classic pet bed mattress design gives both dogs and cats plenty of room to sleep in a variety of different positions, with the gusseted sides providing additional cushioned loft for enhanced nestling and lounging comfort
- SLEEP SURFACE: The main sleep surface is lined with snuggly soft terry fabric that is gentle on noses and paws for enhanced snuggling comfort
- EASY ON JOINTS: The gel-infused memory foam whisks heat away for a cooling effect, as well contours to your pet's figure to cushion pressure points, relieve joint pain, and improve body alignment to help ease discomfort and encourage restful sleep
- CUSTOMER ASSURANCE: Comes with a 90-Day Limited Coverage against material defects and may also qualify for our 60-Day Worry-Free Program; restrictions apply: purchases from unauthorized 3rd party resellers may not be covered by Furhaven
- PRODUCT DETAILS: Gray; Jumbo Plus, 53" x 40" x 5"
- CERTIPUR-US: Our foam is 100% manufactured in the USA and independently tested to meet CertiPUR-US standards for emissions, content, and durability; made WITHOUT formaldehyde, phthalates, mercury, lead, and ozone depleters
- IMPORTANT: Not suitable for pets with excessive teething or destructive chewing behavior
- EASY CARE: The removable dog bed cover is completely machine washable for your convenience; for more specific washing instructions, please refer to the hang tag and/or seam label (if applicable)
What To Consider
Each dog is different, that’s why it is important to buy a bed that is unique to your large dog.
We’ve put together a handy buyers guide that outlines some of the key aspects you should be looking for when buying a bed for a large dog.
This one is a no-brainer, if you’ve got a big dog you need a big bed.
A lot of dog beds use breeds as a sizing but it’s also a good idea to measure your dog before purchasing.
Although a dog bed may advertise itself as a bed for large dogs, it could be a little too small for the bigger Great Danes and St. Bernards.
Ease Of Maintenance
A bigger bed means a bigger laundry load, unlike small dog beds, most large dog beds can’t just be chucked in the washing machine due to their size.
However, most large dog beds do come with a removable and washable cover, which can make cleaning them a lot easier.
If your bed doesn’t have a machine washable cover then it’s best to purchase a blanket that can drape over it and act as a cover.
How Does Your Dog Like To Sleep?
Before buying a dog bed it is important to analyze how your dog likes to sleep, this way you can cater the bed to what they find most comfortable.
If your dog stretches out when they sleep then they are likely a hot sleeper, meaning a bed like a Snoozer cozy cave bed wouldn’t be comfortable for them.
If your dog loves putting his head on your knee or a cushion when they are relaxing or sleeping then get them a dog bed with raised sides.
Every dog is different and it’s important to make your dog as comfortable as possible.
Does Your Dog Need Extra Support?
If your dog is elderly or has orthopedic issues then it is likely they will need extra support while sleeping or getting in and out of bed.
There are a lot of good beds that cater to arthritic dogs that have memory foam mattresses.
If your dog really struggles to get in and out of bed then an elevated bed might help as less effort is needed to get in and out.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Often Should I Wash My Dog’s B ed?
A dog’s bed should be washed around once a week to ensure that no mites or bed bugs reproduce and cause a health and safety hazard for your dog.
In between washes, your dog’s bed should be vacuumed frequently, especially if they are a heavy shedder.
Do Dogs Need Soft Beds?
Not necessarily, some dogs love to cuddle up on something soft and warm and for those dogs a soft bed is fantastic.
However, some dogs, especially older dogs with joint problems may find it difficult to get in and out of softer beds, and a harder bed may support their joints a little better.