When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

My Dog Ate A Whole Pan Of Brownies!

Did your dog eat a whole pan of brownies? Call a vet.

In the meantime, let’s understand why you need to call a vet.

Information is power, and when it comes to your dog, it is the power you need to take good care of your pet, especially after eating that hell lot of toxic chocolate.

My Dog Ate a Brownie. What Now?

Dogs are fascinating. They rarely turn down snacks you share with them.

Brownies are not an exception.

Dogs will never pass an opportunity to devour brownies when they get the chance.

Humans can’t resist the smell of brownies, and dogs can’t either.

Dogs are smell creatures.

They love to explore anything they find with their mouth, which leads to severe repercussions after eating something they are not supposed to, such as brownies.

These incidents make many dog owners flock to the internet asking questions about what to do when dogs eat a few pieces of brownies or eat an entire pan of chocolate brownies.

Fortunately, this article will help you understand what measures to take if such a scenario occurs.

What Now?

If you notice your dog eating brownies, report immediately to a vet.

The vet will ask for more background information about the dog, such as the number of brownies the dog consumed and your dog’s weight. 

This information helps the vet determine the severity of the condition and give proper management.

If your dog ate brownies, you have reason to be concerned.

Generally, the brownie mix does not contain a high level of chocolate.

However, if the chunks of chocolate or chocolate chips are added to the brownie mixture, it makes it extremely dangerous.

Why Are Chocolate Brownies Bad for Dogs?

The chocolate is toxic and unsafe for dogs.

Chocolate has toxins associated with its theobromine and caffeine contents.

These chemicals are under a class of chemicals known as methylxanthines. 

They can cause increased blood pressure, smooth muscle relaxation, dilation of blood vessels, and nervous system stimulation.

Dogs cannot digest theobromine and caffeine the same way humans do.

As a result, chocolate poisoning occurs, mainly affecting the heart, central nervous system, and kidneys.

Types of Brownies and Their Effects on Dogs

Brownies are not just made with chocolate.

Other ingredients in the brownie, too, have toxins and may pose a risk to your dog.

They include:

Marijuana Brownies

If your dog consumes edible marijuana brownies, contact your vet immediately

It might be challenging to estimate the marijuana levels.

In addition, dogs are more sensitive to marijuana as compared to humans.

Macadamia Nuts

Macadamia nuts are harmful to dogs.

A dog can show symptoms by just eating as little as 1/10 of an ounce per 2 pounds.


Xylitol is an artificial sweetener used in the ‘healthy brownie’ recipe.

Small traces like 0.0017 ounces per pound may make a dog start showing signs of poisoning.

When dogs ingest Xylitol, it may cause a significant drop in sugar levels.

Low sugar levels will lead to liver damage, and results may be fatal.

Steps to Take When Your Dog Consumes Brownies

After you realize your dog has ingested brownies, here is what to do.

Move the Brownies Away From the Dog

Move the brownies to a safe place. Make sure it’s out of reach to your dog.

Lock your dog away and sort out the messed area.

Estimate the Amount That the Dog Ate

Try to do some rough calculations of how many brownies your dog ate.

Alternatively, you can check the packaging for “total cocoa solids.”

This information will help your vet make the proper assessment of the situation.

Call a Vet

Contact a vet or pet poison helpline and ask for advice.

You should give them all the details of how, when, and how many brownies your dog consumed.

They will, in turn, direct you and what to do next.

How Many Brownies Can a Dog Eat?

The main ingredients for brownies are not suitable for dogs.

The ingredients are chocolate, wheat flour, and sugar.

Some ingredients, such as chocolate, contain harmful toxins that dogs cannot break down.

Therefore, a dog owner shouldn’t give dogs brownies.

Although according to veterinarians, toxic levels are directly proportional to the type and variety of chocolate consumed.

Whether your dog has taken white chocolate, baking chocolate, milk chocolate, or semisweet chocolate, despite varying toxicity levels, you must engage a professional as soon as the ingestion occurs.

It’s good for dog owners to note that dark and bitter chocolates contain higher levels of theobromine, hence posing more risk than white chocolate.

Signs of Chocolate Toxicity

The signs and effects of chocolate toxicity in dogs depend on the amount eaten and the dog’s size.

One symptom to look out for is excessive panting by your dog.

If the panting comes out heavy, it could be an early indicator that all is not well.

The signs start showing between four and 24 hours after your dog has consumed the chocolate brownies.

They may include:

  • Vomiting that may have traces of blood
  • Diarrhea
  • Restlessness
  • Display restlessness and hyperactivity
  • Rapid breathing
  • Muscle tension and rigidity.
  • Incoordination
  • Increased heart rate
  • The dog may suffer seizures

Chocolate may also cause fatal symptoms such as cardiac failure, collapse, coma, or death.

Why Call the Vet

If you suspect your dog has eaten brownies, call a vet

It is better to call a vet early to assess the risk caused rather than wait till the dog shows the signs.

If possible, send an image of the packaging to the vet to examine the ingredients.

If the vet determines that the number of chocolate brownies consumed poses risks, he will advise you to watch out for symptoms and report to them when anything out of the ordinary happens.

If the dog has serious side effects, the vet may decide to induce your dog to vomit the chocolate using hydrogen peroxide.

Additionally, he may give him activated charcoal.

This aids in trapping toxic substances in the gut.

Once the poisonous substances are trapped, they are prevented from being absorbed further by the gut.

When a dog consumes a high amount of chocolate brownies and goes into a critical condition, the vet may recommend hospital admission to monitor the dog’s heart rate rhythm.

In extreme cases, dogs are given beta blocks.

The beta blocks regulate blood pressure in humans and can also be prescribed to dogs.

It usually decreases the heart’s workload by altering the response to nerve impulses.

The vet, when necessary, will support your dog with other additional supportive care.

They include giving the dog sufficient subcutaneous fluids to flush the kidneys and the gut and pain relief.

Final Word

One man’s meat is another man’s poison.

In this case, one man’s brownies are poison to their dog.

Do not allow your dog to ingest brownies, especially those with the toxic ingredients highlighted in the article.

On the other hand, have your vet’s contact for such emergencies as that might be the lifeline for your dog.

Sharing is caring!

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

National Canine Research Association of America