When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

What To Do If Your Dog Ate Styrofoam or Packing Peanuts

It doesn’t matter how careful you are when unpacking boxes and trying to make sure that your dog doesn’t get any of the packing peanuts or styrofoam in the mouth.

If you’ve got a dog, then you’ve probably experienced the panic that comes with seeing your dog gulp down a piece of styrofoam.

Obviously, dogs aren’t supposed to eat this stuff. So, now what?

If you think your dog ate styrofoam, then you should immediately contact your veterinarian or local animal hospital.

Styrofoam and packing peanuts are toxic to dogs and your doggo needs immediate medical attention if he’s managed to swallow some of this packing plastic.

Why Is Styrofoam So Bad For Dogs?

Since styrofoam is pretty much everywhere, then you might be wondering what the big deal is. Especially if it’s just a small piece that your pupper ate.

But here’s the thing – styrofoam isn’s something harmless because it is a type of plastic.

And guess what? Dogs can’t digest plastics.

Plus, if the styrofoam or packing peanut is large enough, it can block your dogs throat and become a choking hazard.

As you can see, this stuff is definitely bad news for dogs everywhere.

What Happens If My Dog Eats Styrofoam?

So, you’ve just had the misfortunate of catching your dog swallowing a piece of styrofoam. Now what?

You already know that it’s a plastic that can’t be digested by your doggo. And, it’s toxic.

READ  Furminator Ruins A Dog's Coat? Or Should You Use It?

Here’s what happens in your dog’s body when he eats styrofoam:

The kidneys and liver work overtime trying to process the plastic. But they can’t process it, so this really stresses your dogs vital organs.

In some instances, your dog’s kidneys and liver may fail trying to process the swallowed styrofoam.

Even if your dog makes it through eating the styrofoam, his intestines can get damaged (as well as other organs) due to the size of the styrofoam and it getting stuck in tight places.

Plus, plastic releases toxins into your dogs body the whole time that it’s inside him. Those chemicals stay inside your pupper long after the styrofoam is pooped out.

And those chemicals can cause cancer and other problems.

What Should You Do?

No matter how small the piece of styrofoam or packing peanut that you saw in your dog’s mouth, you should immediately contact your vet or local animal hospital for medical advice.

You’ll probably have to take your dog in for emergency medical care where the vet will scan your doggo to see how much styrofoam he has really eaten.

The vet may end up having to give your dog a mild sedative so that they can insert a camera to look inside your dog’s digestive system to see what’s going on.

If only a small amount of styrofoam is found inside the dog, then your vet will likely just give your dog a laxative to get the harmful plastic out of the dogs body as soon as possible.

READ  Can Dogs Eat Chicken Nuggets? Are They Bad For Them? (Or Fried Chicken)

But if it’s a large amount of styrofoam in the dog, then your dog will likely need to have surgery to have it removed before it does further harm to him.

Final Word

Styrofoam and packing peanuts are very bad for your dog and you should always take steps to ensure that your pupper never eats this harmful plastic.

If your dog does manage to eat some styrofoam, then there is a serious health risk – including death.

You should immediately contact your vet or local animal hospital if you suspect that your dog has eaten styrofoam. Doing so just might save your doggo’s life.

image: Reddit

Sharing is caring!

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.