When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

My Dog Ate Midol! What Should I Do?

My dog ate Midol!  If this exclamation sounds troubling to you as a dog owner/lover…it should.

We all love our furry little companions, and the last thing we want to witness is our dog or puppy suffering any pain.

However, as we will point out in the article below, Midol is not the answer.  In fact, giving a dog Midol will most likely cause more pain than it addresses.

Here we will explore some of the questions that brought you to this page:

Can you give a dog Midol? What happen if he eats it? —and show you why these types of scenarios can be so dangerous for your pet.

Can You Give a Dog Midol? Is It Safe?

If your web search has brought you to this article, there are two potential circumstances that led you here: either your dog accidentally got into and ate some Midol, or your dog is suffering from pain and you are wondering if it is safe to administer that medication as a way to ease his pain.

In this section, we will focus on both of these circumstances.

While Midol is an effective medicine for humans, one designed to control the often painful and bothersome symptoms associated with menstruation in women, it is NOT recommended for dogs.

The various formularies of Midol contain active ingredients that can harm your dog and even cause death in some instances.

READ  Dog With Diabetes: Average Lifespan Expectancy (+ When To Put Down)

Some of these active ingredients include:

  • Acetaminophen
  • Pyrilamine maleate
  • Caffeine

Acetaminophen is a pain-relieving drug that is very effective for humans.

It is the active ingredient in the drug we know as Tylenol—a medication used for pain relief and to help moderate fevers.

But acetaminophen is not recommended for dogs.

According to experts, acetaminophen can cause a number of unfavorable effects if it is administered to dogs.

Among these are liver and kidney failure, and in some instances, even death.

In fact, even a very small amount of acetaminophen can be fatal to pets, which is why veterinarians only use the drug on dogs in the most extreme cases—and only when other pain-relieving drugs have failed to control its suffering.

The combination of caffeine, a diuretic, and pyrilamine maleate, an antihistamine, is also potentially harmful to dogs.

In women suffering menstrual and pre-menstrual symptoms, this combination of drugs helps to control bloating (water retention) and cramps, but in dogs it can lead to dehydration and fatigue, which in turn can lead to kidney failure and sometimes death.

Is Midol Poisonous To Dogs?

As mentioned above, Midol is not safe for dogs because it contains some ingredients that are toxic to dogs at certain levels.

Yes, your vet can prescribe Midol to your dog, but they only do so in a dose that is safe and honestly, it’s not that common of a thing.

Of course, the size of your dog depends on how toxic Midol is to the pupper.

Smaller breeds do worse with it than larger breeds.

READ  Does Sam's Club Allow Dogs Inside? Is It Dog-Friendly? (2020 Store Pet Policy)

And here’s the thing – you might give you dog some Midol and think that he’s fine cause he doesn’t show any signs of being poisoned – but that toxicity can silently build up and be a killer.

Liver and kidney failure are some of the serious complications of giving your dog Midol.

Of course, the worst case scenario is death because Midol is toxic to dogs.

What Should I Do If My Dog Ate Midol?

As you can see from the section above, the drugs that make up the medication Midol can be extremely harmful dogs.

Unfortunately, your dog doesn’t know that.

So what should you do if your dog gets into your Midol supply and ingests some?

First, you should contact your veterinarian to seek his or her expert advice.

If your dog merely ate one or two Midol tablets/capsules, your vet may advise you to simply monitor your pet for any signs of potential harm.

You may even be able to administer some activated charcoal to your dog to absorb the poison – just check with your vet first.

However, if multiple Midol pills were ingested, it is urgent that you bring your dog to the vet’s office immediately.

Organ damage and failure can happen very rapidly and time is of the essence in this scenario.

Final Word

As a result of the ingredients that are in Midol, you should not give your pup Midol for pain.

Midol is not safe for dogs and can be quite toxic; possibly leading to death.

READ  How Do You Find Responsible Rescue?

If you think your dog ate some Midol pill on accident, then you should consult with your vet to have him checked out.

Sharing is caring!

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.