Giving your dog fish oils as part of their diet is very important.
These oils can help your canine stay healthy by supporting their heart health, as well as relieve allergies and strengthen the immune system.
Not only that, but fish oils will help relieve flaky or itchy skin, and promote a beautifully silky coat.
The problem is – which fish oil should you give to your dog?
There are so many fish oils out there, and how are you supposed to know which is best?
It can be stressful to scroll through the internet and forums in search of the fish oil that is right for your dog.
It takes a lot of time and commitment, and if we’re being honest – time isn’t something we always have.
To help with that, we’ve put together a list of fish oils that are great choices for your canine companion.
For some added help, you can find a buyer’s guide and a FAQ section below the list, that way you can make an informed decision.
Looking for the right product doesn’t have to be difficult, and here, it’s easier than ever.
This Zesty Paws fish oil is made from wild Alaskan salmon oil.
Wild salmon are known to generally contain higher levels of fatty acids like Omega 3 than farmed fish.
This product comes in a liquid form with a pump, so measuring out the right amount of oil for your pet is quick and easy.
The mixed tocopherols (vitamin E) act as a preservative to the oil, so the product will last anywhere from 9-10 months when refrigerated after opening.
The fish oils in this product will help your cat or dog’s skin, as well as their immunity and coat.
Many dog owners reported that after beginning to use this product, their pet’s health improved a lot, and long-term conditions got better.
However, a few buyers did report issues with their pets consuming the product.
In our experiencing using this product, we found that the Omega 3 and fatty acids were extremely beneficial to both cats and dogs.
Their coats improved, as did their skin, and they did not seem to have a problem consuming the oil mixed in with their food as long as it was kept refrigerated.
With powerful anti itch and allergy support, this natural fish oil additive supplement supports the skin, coat, hips and joints, heart, and immune system.
- Wild salmon oil – wild salmon oil has the best nutrients for your dog, especially compared to farm-raised fish. This is because of the diet of the fish.
- Liquid form – the liquid form of this oil means that it is perfect to add to wet or dry food, and is easily mixed in. Some dogs may struggle with chewing tablets or swallowing pills, so this format makes ingestion much easier.
- Product contains 32 fluid ounces (946ml) – as there is almost a liter of liquid, this salmon oil should last you a long time.
- Many dog owners noticed a big difference in the health of their pets – the majority of pet parents reported that their dog’s skin and fur improved tremendously after starting to incorporate oils into their diet.
- No artificial or added ingredients – the only added ingredient is mixed tocopherol, which is vitamin E. This vitamin prevents the oxidation of oils, and is also an important element of your dog’s diet.
- A few dog owners claimed that their pets did not like the taste – some pet parents claimed that their pets did not like the smell or taste of the product and refused to eat their food with the oil in it.
- Some dog owners reported that the oil made their pet’s stool too soft – a few pet owners left reviews stating that after their pets consumed this oil with their food, their stool was too soft or even bloody
- A minority of dog owners reported that the oil made their pets sick – a few pet parents stated that their pets began vomiting after consuming this salmon oil. It is unclear if they were given too much, but this is something to consider.
The Vital Pet Life salmon oil contains only 4% Omega 6, which is thought to be linked to inflammation and heart disease.
Compared to other brads which have 7% Omega 6 oils, Vital Pet Life does well to reduce potentially harmful ingredients.
The non-GMO and naturally sourced ingredients in this product mean that there is no need to worry about preservatives and unhealthy additives.
A pump and flip-cap are included in this purchase, so it is super easy to measure out the correct amount of oil for your pet.
This all natural salmon oil is made from Alaskan wild salmon, which has higher levels of Omega 3 than farm fish.
This makes them a great choice for pet health.
The health of your pet is likely to drastically improve upon incorporating this oil into their diet in healthy amounts.
Most dog owners who bought this product found that the quality of their pet’s fur improved, and itchiness reduced after adding this product to their diet.
However, a minority of people claimed that this oil made their pets very sick and caused health problems which as vomiting, lethargy, and diarrhea.
In our experience using this product, we found that the oil did not cause an issue in our pets as long as it was refrigerated.
After several months of using this product without a problem, the quality of fur greatly improved, so the oil seems to work well.
Made in the USA. Supports healthy skin and coats. Also helps support joint and bone health and also supports a healthy immune system.
- Advertised as containing all natural products and non-GMO – the company claims that all ingredients are naturally sourced and are non-GMO, so you do not have to worry about additives and unnecessary ingredients.
- The product contains 32 fluid ounces (946lm) – with almost a liter or oil, this purchase should last you a long time, so it is cost-effective
- Made using wild Alaskan salmon – wild Alaskan salmon are thought to be the most nutritional due to their rich diet compared to farmed fish
- Order includes a flip cap as well as a pump for easy use – measuring and storing this product is easy as you can choose between a clip cap and a pump.
- Many dog owners reported that this salmon oil improved their dog’s health – the majority of pet parents left reviews stating that this salmon oil greatly improved the health of their dogs. Issues such as itching and flaking were resolved after starting their dogs on the oil.
- A few dog owners reported that this product made their pets sick – some reviews stated that the dogs who had this with their food had to be taken to the vet for vomiting, lethargy, and diarrhea
- Some dog owners left reviews stating that this salmon oil caused diarrhea in their dogs – a few pet parents reported that their dogs suffered from diarrhea after consuming this oil with their food.
- A minority of dog owners claimed that they did not receive a pump with their purchase – some pet parents left reviews saying that they never got pumps with their orders as was advertised.
This PetHonesty natural salmon oil chew is a great choice if you would prefer to feed your dog treats than mix oil into their food.
These chews contain a number of natural ingredients, including dried and ground carrot, sweet potato, and vitamin E extract.
There are a number of added ingredients, such as flaxseed, coconut glycerin, microcrystalline cellulose powder, and rosemary extract.
These products can be safe for animals in measured doses, and make for delicious treats that your dog will look forward to every day.
Small dogs are limited to one chew a day, medium dogs get two, and larger dogs have three, so depending on the size of your dog, these treats can last anywhere from one and three months.
Your dog’s skin and for will thank you for wild salmon treats, and itching will likely become a thing of the past.
Most buyers left reviews claiming that their dogs loved these treats and experienced no side effects from them.
However, there were a few people to said that these treats caused diarrhea and discomfort to their dogs.
Some buyers even claimed that their pets did not want these treats, but this is a small minority.
In our experience using this product, we found that it caused no problems in pets, though it is understood that come ingredients such as flaxseed could be problematic.
Our dogs enjoyed these treats, but their breath did smell unpleasant from the fish oil.
Made In The U.S.A. from Real Alaskan Salmon Oil. Helps Maintain Healthy Skin + Glossy Coat. Each chew contains more Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids than most other salmon supplements and will help maintain moisture in the skin, support skin health, a glossy coat and may help reduce unseasonal or excessive shedding.
- Product comes as chews – chews are an easy way to feed your dog and can be used as treats. Instead of having to mix liquid oil into your dog’s food, you can give your pet these treats throughout the day when required.
- There are 90 chews per purchase – depending on the size of your dog, this product could last you a long time. This will vary if you have a large dog that requires several chews a day to get their recommended daily amount of Omega 3.
- Wild Alaskan salmon is used – wild salmon is higher in Omega 3 than farm fish, so products made using wild salmon are thought to be more nutritional and beneficial.
- Many dog owners reported that these chews improved their dog’s health shortly after beginning to incorporate – the majority of pet parents stated that the quality of their dog’s coats and skin improved a lot since beginning to feed them the treat.
- The majority of dog owners stated that their dogs loved these treats – most pet parents left reviews stating that their dogs loved these
- Flaxseed may be harmful to some dogs – flaxseed can be toxic to dogs and cause problems such as vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal breathing, weakness, a rapid heart rate, and even seizures. Unsafe forms of flaxseed include unprocessed flax meal, and raw or unprocessed flaxseed. Some pet parents reported this may be the reason for their dog’s diarrhea, as it stopped as soon as they stopped feeding their pet the treats.
- Some dog owners left reviews saying the product quality and quantity changed – reviews left by some pet parents stated that the size of the bottle and the size of the chews themselves got smaller, while the price stayed the same. The number of chews stayed the same, but this is something to consider as prices may rise without warning.
- Some dogs did not want to eat this product – a few pet parents claimed that their dogs did not want to eat these chews. These people had to grind up the food to mix in with their dogs’ meals.
These Nordic soft gels come in a 180 count, but larger and smaller counts can be found on other websites.
These tablets contain naturally occurring vitamin E (mixed tocopherol), and use sardine and anchovy oils instead of salmon.
The soft gel form makes these easy to ingest and absorb, so your pet can enjoy itch-free skin and a silky coat.
Any dog over 20-lbs can enjoy this product safely.
This purchase will last a long time, and most dogs will easily be able to swallow them.
The majority of dog owners left reviews claiming that this product worked well and helped their animal’s skin and coat improve.
However, a minority of pet parents claimed that their dogs had problems ingesting the tablet due to their size and the smell of the capsules were unpleasant.
In our experience using this product, we found that it worked well for our pets and did as claimed.
The smell, while unpleasant, is expected as fish oils naturally have an odor.
It may be easier for larger dogs to ingest these capsules, but smaller dogs may struggle to get the pills down.
To work around this, you can pour the oil onto something more manageable, or try and hide the product in a treat your dog loves.
This Nordic Naturals pet product is made with the same exceptional quality oil as our human products, but has been specially formulated for your dog. Omega-3 Pet features omega-3 fish oil in soft gels.
- The product comes in a soft gel form – soft gels are easily absorbed by the body and are easier to swallow than hard tablets.
- Made using anchovy and sardine oil – this product contains sardine and anchovy oil, which is a rich source of Omega 3
- Includes naturally occurring vitamin E – vitamin E is an important part of your dog’s diet as it improves immunity, fat metabolism, and overall cell function.
- Purchase comes with a count of 180 soft gels – instructions direct to feed your pet one soft gel per 20-lbs. This means that the product will last longer if the dog is smaller (up to 120 days).
- The majority of dog owners reported that this product help their pet’s coats stay healthy and shiny – most pet parents claimed that these capsules did as advertised and either improved or maintained their dog’s health. Many people say the benefits are their dog’s coasts improved, and itchiness disappeared.
- This product is only suitable for dogs weighing over 20-lbs – smaller dogs, such as some terriers and chihuahuas, are too small to have this product as the dosage is too high for such a small animal.
- Some dogs may struggle to swallow capsules – some smaller or fussy dogs might have problems ingesting these capsules. To get around this, some buyers cut the capsules open and put it on something that the dog can eat.
- A few dog owners left reviews stating that they did not like the smell of the capsule – some pet parents reported that these capsules made their pet’s breaths smell bad. This is a common issue with fish oil product, as they have a naturally strong smell, which cannot be avoided.
The Amazing Nutritionals Omega 3 chews comes in a pack of 120 chews and come in two delicious flavors for your canine companion.
With a choice between liver and salmon, your dog will be spoiled for choice.
These can last for up to four months, depending on the size of your pet.
You don’t have to worry about unnecessary additives or unhealthy ingredients as everything put into this product are 100% natural.
If you aren’t convinced, the brand is so confident in their product that you can get your money back if you aren’t satisfied with it.
Make your pet’s coat shine and get rid of the troublesome itch with these flavorful treats.
The majority of pet parents found that these chews improved the condition of their pet’s skin and coat within a few weeks of daily feeding.
However, a few customers did find that the amount of Omega 3 in these tablets were not enough to make a difference to their pets.
In our experience using this product, we found that it worked well to promote shiny fur and healthy skin.
There was no fishy smell, and our dogs enjoyed both available flavors.
It would have been good if there was added vitamin E to help with the immune system, but it is easy enough to get supplements separately.
You can also purchase this product on the Chewy website.
Perfect dog omega 3 fish oil for dogs with sensitive stomachs who hate taking dog vitamins, bites, pills and pouches; Chewable dog oil supplements for skin and coat have no animal byproducts; Made in America
- No bad smell after consuming these tablets – most customers reported that there was no bad smell of fish afterwards, which is a common problem associated with products like these.
- Count of 120 chews – these chews can last between one and four months, depending on the size and personal need that your dog has.
- Two flavor choices – you can choose between the liver or salmon flavor for your pet. This is great, as if your dog does not like one, there is a good chance that they will enjoy the taste of the other.
- Natural ingredients are used to make this product – the brand claims that only naturally occurring ingredients are used to make these tablets
- Most dog owners left reviews stating that these tablets worked well for their dog’s health and had no bad smell – the majority of pet parents claimed that many of their dog’s health concerns, such as itching, stopped once they began feeding their dog these treats. These tablets helped improve the shine and quality of the dog’s coats, and impro
- This product does not contain vitamin E – there is no vitamin E incorporated into this product. Vitamin E is an important part of your dog’s diet and is needed for a strong immune system. This may be a good product to use if you are already giving your dog vitamin E in another form.
- A few dog owners left reviews stating that they did not receive the full amount as advertised – some pet parents claimed that they received half the amount they were supposed to for their purchase.
- Some dog owners claimed that the fish oil in these tablets are not enough to make a different to their pets – a few pet parents left reviews saying that the oil contained in these tablets are not enough to be beneficial to pets, and that the pills did not work for some pets.
What To Look For In Fish Oil For Dogs
This section is here to help you think about a few key things you might want to consider when buying the perfect fish oil for your dog.
Some of these points might not matter to you, but it is always worth knowing what you should look out for in products.
Type Of Fish Oil
You may want to consider what type of fish you feed to your pet.
Although fish oils are all safe for dogs and an important part of their diet, some fish is more responsibly sourced than others.
Additionally, there is a difference in Omega 3 levels in fish like wild salmon and farmed salmon.
Wild salmon tend to have higher levels of Omega 3 because of their diets, and the reason you feed fish oil to your dog is because of these oils.
Similarly, depending on where the salmon is sourced from, there might be over fishing.
While this is personal choice, it is always good to know where the fish comes from.
If you can reduce the use of fish in areas that have been negatively impacted because of commercial use, it will be better for the environment.
This point will depend on your dog. Some dogs do well with liquid formats, while others might prefer chews or even pills.
You will need to figure out what your dog prefers, and get a product that fits with that.
If you can successfully feed your dog chews or pills, stick with it.
Many dogs do not like oil being added to their food as it affects the smell and taste.
For some dogs, getting chews is the best option, as they are seen as treats. Every dog loves treats, so it’s a win-win.
Finally, added ingredients could play a part in your choice of fish oil for your dog.
Some dogs might have allergies or sensitivities to some ingredients, and it is up to you to find out about it.
Always read the ingredients label carefully to make sure that everything the product contains is safe for your particular dog.
If your dog begins to show signs of distress, stop feeding your dog the product immediately.
Sometimes a dog will react to various ingredients and may vomit or experience diarrhea and lethargy.
Keep an eye on your dog when you start feeding them anything new.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Fish Oils Good For Dogs?
Fish oils are very good for dogs.
Adding fish oils to your dog’s diet will help keep their heart healthy, as well as help with flaky or itchy skin.
One of the most noticeable differences you can expect to see when adding fish oil to your dog’s diet is their silky smooth coat.
Are Any Fish Oils Bad For Dogs?
As long as the fish oil is administered in the recommended doses, they are safe and healthy for dogs.
Some fish oils are more concentrated, which is why it is very important to read the instruction label carefully before feeding your dog any fish oil.
Smaller dogs will need less Omega 3 in their diet, and too much fish oil can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, a fishy breath, flaky and itchy skin, an oily coat, and slower healing of wounds.
Like anything, too much fish oil can have detrimental effects on your dog.
Never go over the limit, and stick to the dosage recommendations.
If your dog exhibits signs of the above symptoms, discontinue use of the oil.