When compared to kibble, good wet dog foods have more protein, fewer carbohydrates, and no cancer-causing additives and preservatives.
It’s important to remember that, all things considered, our canine counterparts do have preferences when it comes to foods they like to eat.
It’s well known that despite being more expensive than kibble, dogs find wet food irresistible.
Canned dog food tends to be easier to chew which makes it perfect for smaller dogs, seniors, and puppies.
Knowing your dog’s needs and dietary requirements should always be top of the list when making the best choice.
We’ve scoured the internet, done the research, and put some of these products in front of our four-legged friends to come up with the 10 best-canned dog foods available today.
They’re in no particular order in the list below as each entry is a fantastic choice.
We’ve tried to make selections that cover all the requirements including a balance of ingredients, age and life stage suitability, and nutritional benefits.
No one knows beef better than cowboys and no one appreciates well-cooked beef better than our canine friends.
These two points are the backbone of what goes into Merrick’s Grain-Free Cowboy Cookout canned dog food.
The top ingredients are Beef Broth, Deboned Beef, Beef Liver, Chicken Broth, Dried Egg Product, and Peas.
Merricks Grain-Free Cowboy Cookout has chunks in gravy texture and as the label suggests is grain-free.
Suitable for all life stages and ages, Merricks Grain-Free Cowboy Cookout gets the majority of its protein content from fresh beef and analysis shows that it has fat to protein ratio of 33%.
This means that it is very kind to your pooch’s digestive system and won’t upset their stomach.
- Merrick Grain Free Cowboy Cookout Recipe, Premium And Wholesome, Gluten Free Canned Adult Wet Dog Food
- Real deboned beef is the first ingredient in this grain free wet dog food made with real meat. This recipe is gluten free and natural with added vitamins and minerals
- Premium moist dog food recipe mixes soft carrots, green beans and apples from trusted partners smothered together in a gravy to add flavor and moisture to your dog’s diet
- Wholesome canned healthy dog food can be served as a standalone meal or as a topper for dry kibble. This adult dog food comes in a convenient pull-tab can for easy opening
- Healthy and holistic blend of dog food contains no artificial flavors, preservatives, or by-products. Merrick wet dog food was proudly founded in Hereford, TX, and is crafted in USA facilities
Blue Buffalo is one of the best brands of canned dog food you can buy for your hungry pooch.
They use some of the finest ingredients in their canned dog food range.
It wouldn’t be the best-canned dog food list without an entry from Blue Buffalo!
They’re one of the most popular brands out there, which is a testament to Blue Buffalo’s quality.
The top ingredients in the Duck and Chicken Grain-Free can are Duck, Chicken, Chicken Broth, Potatoes, Potato Protein, and Flaxseed.
Duck and Chicken are both high in amino acids which are essential for your dog’s health and muscle regeneration/development.
Using only named meats in their production of canned dog foods gives a certain amount of security knowing that Blue Buffalo details what’s in every can
As the name suggests, Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck & Chicken is completely grain-free.
It also doesn’t contain any by-product meats or gluten.
- PACKED WITH REAL DUCK AND CHICKEN: This grain free dog food contains more of the duck and chicken dogs love
- FEED THREE WAYS: High protein BLUE Wilderness adult dog food makes a delicious treat, adds interest mixed into their favorite dry foods or can be fed as a meal on its own
- NATURAL DOG FOOD: All BLUE canned dog foods are made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals
- WHOLESOME INGREDIENTS: BLUE wet dog food contains NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, NO corn, wheat (a common thickening agent used by many other brands) or soy, and NO artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains twelve (12) 12.5-oz cans of BLUE Wilderness High Protein Grain Free, Natural Adult Wet Dog Food, Duck & Chicken Grill
Whole Earth Farms take their dedication to use only the best ingredients very seriously.
This canned dog food is packed with nutritionally beneficial ingredients, so you can rest assured that you’re filling their bowl with natural goodness.
The main ingredient, Lamb, is mixed with beef and a variety of vegetables to give a balanced meal for your pup.
Of all the goodies packed into this canned dog food, the top ingredients are Lamb, Beef, Beef Broth, Beef Liver, Peas, Carrots, Dried Potatoes, and Dried Egg products.
Along with the above ingredients, Whole Earth Farms Grain-Free Recipe Hearty Lamb Stew has a blend of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants which will contribute to a shinier coat, healthier immune system, and healthier skin.
This product is great for dogs that suffer from dry skin.
- Twelve (12) 12.7 oz Cans - Whole Earth Farms Grain Free Hearty Lamb Stew Wet Dog Food
- Whole Earth Farms Grain Free Hearty Lamb Stew Wet Dog Food
- First Ingredient is Deboned Lamb in this Whole Earth Farms dog food recipe.
- New Grain Free Hearty Stew with Chunky Lamb and Vegetables
- Cooked in America with the Earth's Best Ingredients
Poultry-based foods are always a winner with many pups’ tummies.
The Wellness CORE brand has balanced and protein-rich products at its heart.
Wellness CORE will best-canned get your four-legged friend’s tail wagging with a delightful blend of Turkey and Chicken Livers, enriched with Turkey Liver.
The top ingredients of this can are Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Meal, Chicken Broth, Chicken, and Turkey liver.
The protein content of the Wellness CORE brand is significantly higher than other leading brands – with an average of 50% more protein, even when compared to other products in the Wellness CORE family.
- GRAIN-FREE ADULT WET DOG FOOD: Wellness CORE natural dog food is free from grains and packed with premium protein, vegetables, and nutrients your dog needs to thrive.
- TURKEY & CHICKEN PATE: This natural, grain-free recipe features real turkey and chicken for a complete, balanced nutrition. Pate is completely smooth for an irresistible taste your dog will love.
- LEANER BODY MASS AND MUSCLE TONE: Based on the nutritional philosophy that dogs thrive on a natural diet mainly comprised of meat, this dog food is made with high quality protein ingredients sourced from turkey and chicken.
- NO CORN, WHEAT, OR SOY: Contains only premium, all natural ingredients with no poultry by-products, wheat, wheat gluten, corn, soy, artificial colors, or preservatives.
- MADE IN USA: We prepare each of our recipes in our own state of the art facility, using only the finest, globally sourced ingredients. All ingredients are wholesome, non-GMO, and chosen for their nutritional benefits.
Sometimes simplicity is the best choice for your pup.
American Journey is the perfect example of a simple yet great tasting choice that will your canine healthy and happy.
And let’s face it, no pup can resist the taste of a great stew.
This US-based company stands firmly behind its claim that they use only the best ingredients from trustworthy sources.
The fact that they keep fillers and by-products out of their dog food means that feeding this to your four-legged companion won’t upset their digestive system or trigger allergies.
American Journey: Chicken and Vegetable Stew’s top ingredients are Chicken, Chicken Liver, Chicken Broth, Beef Broth, Carrots, and Egg White.
Weruva is a popular dog food brand that boasts premium quality as all its products are made in a human-grade factory.
Their Chicken in Gravy Grain-Free recipe is packed with flavor which will keep your pup happy and satisfied.
There is a high amount of protein thanks to the high-quality chicken meat and a good amount of fiber to aid their digestion.
This recipe is completely free of common allergens including gluten and corn.
The top ingredient of the Chicken in Gravy is Chicken (White Breast) Potato Starch, Water for Processing, Tricalcium Phosphate, Sunflower Seed Oil.
If you feel like your pup has been a good boy/girl and deserves a bit of pampering, this gourmet dog food is a great choice.
- Paw Lickin’ Chicken (14oz can, Pack of 12) Our most popular recipe! Featuring boneless, skinless, white-meat chicken in a delicious gravy.
- Weruva Classic Dog Food - Our premium lineup of artfully-crafted recipes with high-quality ingredients you can actually see and your dog will love.
- Our most limited ingredient recipe. Just white meat chicken in gravy. Easy-to-digest and great for all breeds and sizes.
- Grain-free, Gluten-free, & Carrageenan-free. No corn, wheat or soy. Free from any artificial colors & preservatives.
- Produced in Human Food Facilities under the Strictest B.R.C. Global Standards for Foods with responsibly sourced ingredients.
- Weruva is a family company, wholly owned & operated by pet parent’s David & Stacie Forman.
- 100% Complete & Balanced Diet for Adult Maintenance with added Vitamins, Minerals, & Antioxidants.
Holistic by name, holistic by nature.
The people behind Holistic Dog Food do care about all aspects of your pooches’ health and wellbeing.
This particular grain-free formula is perfect for dogs with sensitive stomachs, grain allergies, or digestive problems.
Aside from being packed with high-quality proteins, this recipe has premium probiotics built into it which help your dog’s metabolism and digestion.
The top ingredients of this formula are Chicken Liver, Chicken, Chicken Broth, Potato Protein, Whitefish, Ground Dried Peas.
Aside from the top ingredients, the Holistic: Select Chicken Pate Grain-Free recipe contains a blend of fruits like pumpkin and papaya which compliment the ingredients and give an added mixture of minerals, vitamins, and nutrients.
It also contains omega 3 fatty acids which promote a shiny, healthy coat.
- Grain Free: Grain Free, Complete And Balanced Everyday Nutrition, Back With Our Unique Digestive Support System, For Your Dog.
- Quality Ingredients: A High Quality Pâté Made With The Finest Natural Ingredients, Featuring Premium Protein From Real Chicken.
- All Natural: Contains Only Premium, All Natural Ingredients With No Wheat, Soy, Corn, Artificial Colors, Flavors & Preservatives.
- Made In North America: Backed By The Holistic Select Guarantee And Proudly Made Only In North America.
Ollie takes the health and wellbeing of your dog very seriously.
Ollie designs a custom feeding plan using your dog’s weight, breed, age, activity level, and allergies.
Then they offer a precise portion size based on the number of calories your dog needs to stay at its ideal weight.
Ollie Turkey gets most of its protein from fresh Turkey and Turkey Organ meat.
This particular blend is grain-free and has a coarsely ground texture.
The main ingredients are Turkey liver, Turkey thigh, pumpkin, Turkey heart, carrots, and are suitable for all life stages.
This option is perfect for those who want to feed their pup a scientifically balanced diet that’s close to homemade.
All of The Farmer’s Dog brand dog food is formulated by a board-certified veterinary nutritionist and is made with human-grade ingredients meaning that they are 100% balanced and meet AAFCO nutritional standards for all life stages.
The Farmer’s Dog line of products is suitable for puppies, adults, and senior dogs.
As an example, The Farmer’s Dog Turkey recipe gets nearly all of its protein from fresh turkey.
The first five ingredients of the Turkey recipe include Turkey, Parsnips, Carrot, Broccoli, and Chickpeas.
However, there are numerous blends and recipes to choose from including Pork and Beef.
One of the most affordable canned dog foods you can buy, we couldn’t formulate this list without mention of Taste of the Wild.
This high-quality dog food makes for a great addition to your pup’s well-balanced diet.
The chunky texture and tasty gravy will make this one go down a treat.
Taste of the Wild is high in crude protein and is formulated to promote healthy digestion with a mixture of minerals and potato starch.
It is also grain-free which makes it suitable for dogs with allergies to grains.
As you might expect, the top ingredients in the Taste of the Wild are high-quality and include Beef, Beef Broth, Lamb, Lamb Liver, Bison, and Vegetable Broth.
- A taste of the wild with REAL BISON; REAL MEAT is the #1 ingredient; optimal amino acid profile, PROTEIN rich for LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- Premium ingredients with added vitamins & minerals; fruits and vegetables as SUPERFOODS for hard-working ANTIOXIDANTS; fatty acid blend for SKIN & COAT
- Ingredients From Trusted, Sustainable Sources Around The World; Made With No Grain, Corn, Wheat, Filler; No Artificial Flavors, Colors, Preservatives Added
- Nutrient rich and HIGHLY DIGESTIBLE with PREBIOTIC FIBER and nutrients from sweet potatoes, blueberries, and raspberries
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s The Main Difference Between Wet And Dry Dog Food?
The biggest difference between wet and dry food is usually the price.
Dry food is normally vastly cheaper than wet food.
However, wet food has many benefits including larger quantities of protein, fewer carbohydrates, and preservatives.
Can You Mix Dry And Wet Food?
When mixing dry and wet food it’s vital that you check with your vet to see if your pooch has any allergies or specific dietary requirements.
It’s good practice to compare the ingredients on both wet and dry food packages to make sure they’re safe for your dog and complement each other.
What Should I Look For In High-Quality Canned Dog Food?
The best place to start when choosing a good quality food is the ingredients list.
Keep an eye out for proteins as these are important.
Usually, the first ingredient on the list weighs the most so this should always be meat or broth.
You should also avoid any foods which list things like Unknown Animal Sources, Sugar, and sweeteners, or by-products.
How Much Wet Food Should I Feed My Dog?
The key to answering this question is dependent on many factors, including your dog’s weight/size, habits, and age.
As a rule of thumb, puppies are allowed larger portions of fat in their diet and wet canned dog food provides this.
You should also establish a feeding routine with your pup as grazing should be avoided.
Can I Feed My Dog Wet Food Only?
The short answer to this question is yes, you can feed your dog wet food only.
There are some minor caveats to this.
Namely that you might want to include some dental hygiene sticks in your dog’s daily routine as wet food can cause bad breath in some dogs.
It is possible to keep your dog on a wet food-only diet.